Greg and I met in August of 2007 when we were both RATs in the AUMB. During preseason camp, Greg noticed a girl sitting behind him who wore a headband and BIG sunglasses everyday (That was me). At the end of the week banquet, I noticed a guy whom I thought I knew but couldn't figure out why (That would be Greg). It turned out that I did not know Greg but I decided he was pretty cute. After several weeks, we mustered up enough courage to finally talk in person. This is our first picture together!

We spent the next couple of months getting to know each other through a group of mutual friends. I asked Greg to my fall formal in October and our first date was the week after that. After a month of dating, we finally became "facebook official" on November 29, 2007. Since that time, we've had ups and downs (thankfully mostly ups!) and too many adventures to list. Which brings us to September 2 2011- the day I said YES!
Greg graduated from Auburn in May and began his job hunt. We were very blessed that in July, he moved to Spanish Fort, AL to start his job as a mechanical engineer. The adjustment of beginning a long distance relationship has been a difficult one but securing a job meant planning our future was now a possibility. So began the wait trying to figure out when he might pop the question :)
My mom and I were speculating that Labor Day weekend would be the perfect time because of the long weekend and the fact that both of our families were going to be in Auburn. I began looking for any clues from Greg but he didn't give ANYTHING away. So, I finally convinced myself that it was definitely not happening that weekend. I spent the whole week moping around trying to hide my disappointment from Greg (rather unsuccessfully). Finally, Friday September 2nd came and Greg and I were finally going to get to see each other after 3 weeks of being apart. I knew Greg wouldn't get in until late so I took my time at work and eventually moseyed towards home around 5:30. I called Greg to make sure he was on the road and he said he had just left and would be in Auburn around 9pm.
I pull up to my apartment and start gathering my things out of my car, I look up and Greg is standing there!!! I was SHOCKED. I've surprised Greg a few times over the years but he has never pulled one on me and I was speechless. He said I kept saying "I don't know what to do with myself!" over and over. Haha. So not only was he there waiting for me (He had been there for an hour, I felt so bad I didn't come home sooner!) he had brought me my favorite priester's pecans- something I had been bugging him about since he moved to Spanish Fort :).
Once we got inside he said he needed to go grab something out of his car. I thought that was strange since we were spending the weekend at my Mammaw's house. I couldn't imagine what he needed from his car. But I was still so in shock he was there I really didn't suspect anything yet. So he comes back inside and he was carrying this:
He asked me to sit down and that's when I knew something was up! He pulled out a letter and started reading it (He was sooo nervous he could barely talk). The frame had pictures of us from when we first started dating to now, which he said was "a small part of our own love story". He talked about when we first met and everything he loves about me. It was very romantic and sweet :) I'm glad he wrote it down though because at the time I couldn't tell you half of what he said! Then he got down on his knee in my living room and asked me to marry him. It was great and of course I said YES!!! Here is my BEAUTIFUL ring!
Needless to say, the past 4 years have been the best of our lives and we are thrilled to finally be engaged and get to start our lives together! I can't wait to marry my best friend and man of my dreams and I will become Mrs. Abernathy on August 4, 2012 in Auburn, AL :)

AHHHH! Love it! I had chills like the whole time I was reading it!! :) :) I love you, and I'm so excited for Greg to become part of the family! Him and Matthew can be best friends!! YAY! Can't wait for August 4thhhh!
ReplyDeleteI love this, and I can't wait until your big day! You're going to be a beautiful bride and AHHHH I'm just so excited for you!!
ReplyDelete